Friday 4 May 2012

Final Google Sketchup Model with Custom Textures



 My final google sketchup model of both Alvar Aalto and Kengo Kuma monuments as well as a meeting place for various students studying architecture reflect further changes from my first alterated model previously blogged and  added detail to reinforce the conceptual meaning of this structure. As shown in the image above the model consists of solid structured base symbolising concepts of Aalto which columns through the centre of the structure therefore supporting the semi-transparent meeting place located within the centre of the model and the thin transparent planes of my Kuma monument. The central idea behind this model is that the Aalto monument provides a climatic step-like approach to the meeting place perched above it as well as the feather-light transparent planes of the Kuma monument which filter, disperse and fragment light on both the meeting place and Aalto monument below.

 My final changes representing concepts of Aalto architecture consisted of altering my corner base column block to emphasise a step-like approach to the model and including small voids cuts within thick solid surfaces of the model therefore providing direct entry points for light. Two cable-thin columns connecting the planes of the Kuma monument were also added to further trait and reflect the architecture of Kuma himself.





 To further emphasise this train of thought throughout my model I applied textures which reflect the architecture it is placed on. On Aalto's monument i used solid brick-like textures to emphasise styles of his own architecture. My 'dark' custom texture located on the base and column structure of the model reinforces the solidness of the structure through a block on block stacked pattern while also exploring climatic build within the model between monuments the model virtually a climatic build of blocks itself.

 My 'medium' custom texture of flow located in the meeting place further explores the connectivity of two distinctly different pieces of architecture through a ying-yang like pattern which symbolises the interconnectivity and inter-weaving of the two distinct monuments into an abstract and completely new piece of architecture. Accompanied with further transparent textures such as glass my meeting place connected to my Kuma monument which holds my 'light' texture of bubbles. Just as bubbles are transparent and light so is my Kuma monument; therefore acting as a method of light diffusion, dispersion and fragmentation onto the climatic model below.

No comments:

Post a Comment